Wednesday, September 26

Friends visit and life

A friend and her kids came to visit on Monday, and we had a GREAT time. Really good conversation amongst us adults, her son mostly played video games with our son, until the end of the visit when 'the boys' went and jumped on the trampoline for a while. Her oldest daughter just kind of be-bopped around. At one point she went swimming and said the water was cold (probably because although the daytime temps were in the 80's and low 90's, the night time/morning temps had dipped into the 50 and 60), hence why I didn't go swimming too :-) And her littlest one just ran around and explored (she is only 2). They were going to come back today, but mom isn't feeling well, so we're hoping for Friday. *fingers crossed*

Other than that, not much happening. Yesterday is RAINED a LOT, which was nice. And today it has been cloudy all day and cool (70-ish) enough for me to wear a jacket when I go outside (yeah, I'm a cold wimp!). Not looking forward to winter, but I guess I'll just deal with it as best as I can. *smile*

There have been a couple of lifetime firsts for me this year. One is that I probably saw a UFO - that was cool. But I didn't get a good look at it, only saw the lights as it passed over - silently! My wife and daughter say it was a triangular shape. Then just a couple of days ago while my wife and I were sitting on the porch, we saw a METEOR. Really neat. It started out white, then turned kind of red with a tail, then orange as it went by. It was visible for I'd say close to 10 seconds (wasn't counting, just watching). I just know that I had time to stand up, step off the porch (one step) and turn to watch it as it went passed. Totally awesome.

And the latest on our DSL dilemma is that I'm in contact with the South-Western Missouri Centurytel supervisor who's looking into the possibility of getting it for us. He said in the beginning that they should be able to provide it if we're under 24,000 feet (which implies to me that they do in fact use 'repeaters'). Since then he's said we're "23,900 feet", but that's only in one direction. I think we're closer to the other connection point (19,000 feet?). But he says, "I may not get you the answer you want, but I’m going to make sure I have all the facts", so that's cool. Please cross your fingers for us - thanks. My current connection speed is only 28.8 Kbps, and almost every time we manage to get a speed of over 30, we almost immediately get disconnected. It's almost like our account has been flagged (can they do that?) because I brought up that they could, but aren't using the technology available. Like I pissed-off a technician or something.

As for my last post about war with Iran, sorry to go all political on you, but I think that if Bush and Cheney get their way and attack that it very well could be the start of WW III, which scares me a lot, hence why I posted about it.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: