Saturday, June 21

Blogs, software, pool table, swimming pool

So here I yam, writing in my blog. Yes, that would be ONE blog. Decided that there's no real reason that I know of to post new entries to LiveJournal since no one ever comments. Granted, Zoundry Raven the blog writing software will post automatically to as many blogs that you enter in the accounts set-up, so it was easy enough to just delete the settings for LJ and leave just this one for Blogspot.

Speaking of deleting things, I've been on a kick the last few days trying to uninstall programs that we rarely if ever used, or those that didn't quite work right. Fortunately we didn't/don't have very many programs that fit those criteria. Yesterday afternoon I went to AVG's website and was looking for a way to contact them. I upgraded to the Free AVG 8.0 last week. Although it seemed/seems to be working okay and all, I like the icon (AVG scanning in progress arrow) that 7.5 has when it's scanning that's on the toolbar by the clock with a little arrow in it so you know it's in the scanning process. 8.0 shows no such icon, and the only ways to know when it's scanning is remembering that you started it, websites load really slow, or you open the "user interface" and click on "computer scanner" and it shows the progress of your scan. I would like if you could choose while it's scanning, for the "advanced settings" tab to give the option of checking a box to restart the computer when it's done. But, the only option right now is to have it shutdown the computer and then you restart it yourself. While I was searching the help forum I saw that someone had an issue with 8.0 changing some incoming emails to plain text. It was suggested by other users to uninstall 8.0 and reinstall 7.5, which I tried to do and for some reason it became a bigger pain in the butt than I wanted to deal with, so I reinstalled 8.0 and will hope when they update it to a newer version they'll pay attention to the forum suggestions to make it less of a 'resource hog' and get it to stop changing the format on some emails. It was also said that version 7.5 didn't slow the computer down nearly as much a they claim 8.0 does, which it's obviously not doing to our 'puter.

The other program I uninstalled, reinstalled, and then uninstalled again a couple of days ago was Ad-Aware 2008. It just wasn't working right (would only finish the "smart scan"). It would hang and stop doing anything but counting the scan time, when it got to "InprocServer32". It was suggested on their forum that you uninstall *everything* that had anything to do with "Lavasoft/Ad-Aware" and do a clean install. I did that, but the freezing during the "full system scan" still happened, so I uninstalled it and downloaded/installed Spybot 1.5. Ad-Aware was rarely finding any "adware" or "spyware", so it's not a biggie to not have it.

The Dodge Intrepid has been taken away by the mechanic I said could have it in lieu of cash for replacing the manifold gasket on the van last year.

Click to enlare. This is before we got it. He also brought that pool table he gave us for free, and stood it up in front of the bookshelves (the legs folded up/in). As we are unsure how long it's going to take our DD to get her new-to-her bedroom set-up, we put the pool table in there and played a game or three. The room is not really big enough to be able to play using a full-size cue stick, we are currently only using half of it. Plus it, the table, really isn't leveled, so the cue ball and other balls tend to roll to the corner on one end. When we move it into the house to the bigger room that's DD's bedroom right now, then we'll get it totally balanced. We did find out on our first racking of the balls, that we're missing ball #15. Once again, no biggie as the people who gave us the table is tentatively scheduled to visit us on this coming Monday.

The swimming pool is basically up. It just needs to have some leaves that sank to the middle during it's off season that need to be scooped and/or vacuumed. I put my entire arm in the water to test the temperature a couple of days ago and determined the water is warm enough to swim in, and therefore warm enough for me to be in it to clean the bottom. Was going to do that yesterday, but didn't get a round tuit. I'm thinking of doing it today, but I need to eat brunch first. I've been up and awake since 9 a.m. and still haven't eaten. (bad, bad Rambleman). Rain had 3 small patties of sausage fried-up and ready for me to eat at 9-ish, but I decided I would wait and eat when we got back from shopping for a few miscellaneous things in Buffalo.

Technorati : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Fairie Mom said...

We have used AVG for quite a few years now and have never had any problems, but I agree with you that not having that icon there is a pain!
I downsized to just using blogspot recently to ~ I prefer it over any of the other blogging sites I have tried.
Good Luck with getting the pool going!