Sunday, June 8

Writing, chickens and mowing

To be honest with you, as I always am, I am just having a *really* hard time thinking of anything "interesting" to post. Still of the mind "who the hell gives a crap about my opinions or life?!". I mean, seriously, very little *ever* really changes around the homestead. That makes it really difficult coming-up with thing to update 'the world of blog readers', ya know? If you're thinking, "Wow, you sound depressed", I'm not really, just not seeing a real reason to continue blogging slash writing. Seriously, what difference does it make whether I do or don't write? 'course you may say to that, "Then why do you?" To which my reply would be, " Because I can". For the most part, except for articles and videos people point me to, I've been avoiding the "news" because although there are many things that irk me, I can't see stressing over things I cannot change. You know, like The Serenity Prayer which says, "give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other." In short I don't feel there is much I CAN change.

One thing I can update you on is our attempts to get more eggs from the chicken hens. Since we've put down 2 roosters and a hen that constantly got out, you'd think we would get more. But nOoooo, they are still apparently crossing their legs, or they're hiding them *somewhere* in their fenced yard, which we haven't really scoured looking for eggs because a lot of the grass is shoulder high and we don't wish to get any more tick bites then we absolutely have to. We are hoping that with fewer roosters that the hens will be less stressed and in time lay more eggs. Except for a hand-full of chickens that have been consistently getting out by flying over the fence every day (even with clipped wings), for the last couple of weeks the majority of them have stayed in their yard. Yet we've still not managed to get more than 2 eggs per day out of close to 30 hens. Perhaps we've just got old hens who're passed their prime egg laying age? Who knows. We've got 3 roosters as of yesterday (we butchered one last evening), so we have 2 more to butcher. Hopefully once we're down to only 1 the girls will give us more eggs. I can hope, can't I? *grin*

We *finally* were able to afford to get 5 gallons of gas for the riding mower, which cost us $18.80. I spent about 3-3.5 hours mowing yesterday afternoon. Got a large portion of the back yard mown, concentrating under/around the clothes line/badminton net and swimming pool. Unless we get a lot of grass/hay raked-up or the wind continues and blows a lot of the grass around making it so there are fewer piles, it won't look as good as it can. Nonetheless it does look better not having 4 foot tall grass everywhere. I also mowed the front yard close to the house and driveway. I even moved the non-running car that's been sitting in the same spot for a couple or few years and cleaned-up the weeds that'd grown around it. Also mowed the driveway, so now you can see the mailbox from the front porch. WOO! Still have a LOT of mowing to do though, which I'll do this afternoon after I eat brunch and my wife and daughter are awake after their morning naps. Meanwhile I can bring the clothes from the clothes line in and hang out the next load.

Take care!

Technorati : , , , , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

lovelife said...

ok this might sound sick but I have been telling storm how to kill a chicken as we did it growing up so how do you all do it. Just a question.

Todd said...

The last few times we've used manual pruning sheers, the kind that look like huge scissors, to cut their heads off. Hang 'til the bleeding stops and then butcher them.

lovelife said...

Ok sounds easer and faster then what we did as kids growing up