Thursday, October 11

DSL for the Fringe-folk

DSL_available_10-11-07.jpg

Hey, guess what! We are scheduled to have DSL (256k) on-line next Tuesday - 10-16-07, in the morning). I am SO psyched!! A man from Centurytel came out this morning and checked our lines for noise, inside and outside of the house. Everything is fine, clear as bell. He asked Rain when he got here, "So, what's the problem with your DSL?" She said, "Um, we don't have DSL". Everyone asks that, though we've NEVER had it. Almost did once, but at the last minute were denied. He was surprised that we used to get 48 Kbps consistently for a few years, but we were, until I contacted customer support about not having DSL even though the technology has been here to extend it to us, for 6 years. And when I wouldn't take their pat answer, "There's no technology that we know of that can extend it far enough for you to get it", and told them of the technology, suddenly our connection speed plummeted, and the frequency of disconnects suddenly rose. But starting next Tuesday, we should be speeding along the super-highway with so many others. Can't wait! Or can just barely! Ya just have to talk to the right people I guess. I emailed the District Manager for SW. MO. and he thought that we should've had it by now, but looked into it. Perhaps they figured that I must REALLY want it, if I'm willing to go UP the chain of command. *grin* And I would've too, but I couldn't find the email address of the Centurytel CEO, who made 7 million dollars in 2006. But they couldn't afford to spend $700 dollars for an extender for my area? Anyway, that's all moot as of next! Frikkin! Tuesday! LOL.

"Work WITH Nature, and Nature WILL provide" - Me
http://rambleman.gather.com/

Technorati : , , , ,

2 comments:

lovelife said...

so cool that you will soon have dsl. I am happy 4 you all.

Todd said...

Thanks, we're pretty damn excited. We're going to try and get 1.5Mbps instead of the 256K that I wrote.