Friday, February 13

Hospitalization and Air travel

hospital.jpeg

airplane.jpeg

My sister called me yesterday and told me that dad had either a stroke or a heart attack, but either way, he quit breathing and they had to revive him. When he woke up he didn't recognize her. Later in the day when he woke again he did recognize her so that was improvement. However, the doctors say there is something wrong with his heart and he could go at anytime. They aren't doing anything right now except keeping him comfortable. He does have a DNR filed at the hospital should he actually die. I don't know if that prevents the hospital from operating or whatever, but I think just the fact that he has the DNR order means that he feels if it's his time, it's his time. Not sure how well mom is dealing with it, but I'm assuming it's not well. She wouldn't go to the hospital at first because she didn't want to see him die. Eventually my sister was able to get her to visit him and then she (mom) went back home. When sis called me the first time she was almost in tears or was choking them down enough to tell me the news. She asked me if I was sitting. I immediately thought something had happened to mom because I thought she was sicker than dad. I was wrong. With his weight being around 350 pounds, having diabetes, and his legs not being strong enough to support him, lung issues, he wasn't doing well before he lost consciousness, so the prognosis isn't good. He's also been having problems with falling out of bed, off chairs after falling asleep and therefore had to have an ambulance called a few times just to get him off of the floor. This was a little while ago, last month I believe. Mom really wants me to visit him before he dies, plus wants me there for her, my sister and family, but mostly for mom. Bro-in-law and sis put 2 round trip airline tickets on their credit card so that my DD and I can fly to Colorado this Sunday. It will be DD's first time flying and my first time in, gosh, over 15-20 years (maybe longer), so we're looking forward to that. Also, this will be the first time in 16 years that Rain and I have been apart for more than a 14 hours. Scary (not really). Since Rain is a little unsure of driving the van, a good friend of ours in Springfield, MO will be coming up to our place on Saturday afternoon/evening, staying the night, then taking me to the airport for a flight time of 10:15 a.m. We will of course be paying for her gas. Plus we get to visit with her and her kids, which we haven't done for quite a long time. Rain and my son will hold the fort down for about a week while we're away, so they'll both have a computer to themselves if they want.
==
Once again the appointment to take two more cats to the shelter on Wednesday is going to be missed for the 3rd time in a row. No biggie, it's not like they're bad cats or dangerous, they're just the next to go. Guess it will be next month then.
==

Technorati : , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

Lee said...

Oh Todd, thinking of you all as you go through this. Hoping that your dad's passing is peaceful if it is his time and that there is comfort in being together with family.

Todd said...

Thank you. If he passes, I'm okay with that. Will still be sad I guess.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'm glad DD gets to be with you.

lovelife said...

I hope that all turns out ok.

Todd said...

As it turned out, my father passed on Monday morning of this week. Mom is devastated and is now temporarily in an Elderly Care Facility.