Friday, April 20

Pruning trees, yardwork, and a find

Another successful day... so far. Spent most of the afternoon outside doing yardwork. I got broken branches that were still attached to trees, cut off and hauled to the wildlife sanctuary (aka: brush pile). The very first one I did almost caused some personal injury. Suffice it to say that I now know why you should not be standing on a ladder cutting a branch off of a tree with a chainsaw. *grin* When I cut the branch it of course fell down a little ways onto the part that has a bunch of smaller branches. The small ones hit the ground and the part I cut close to the tree came back towards me, about knee level and right next to the ladder. Well, I didn't really have anywhere to go, so I *quickly* looked down to see how far it was and kind of hopped off the ladder holding the chainsaw. As I was jumping off the ladder I let go of the chainsaw and when I hit the ground (feet first) I went away from the tree, and luckily enough from the falling chainsaw, which I somehow managed to push the safety bar on top forward and the chain stopped. Afterwards I came in to gather myself and get some water. The next two trees that I cut branches off of while I was on the ladder were done using a hand saw. *grin* While I was pulling the branches that were tied to the back of the mower, to the sanctuary, I ran the mower blades. Which was a good thing because not only did I get some grass mowed, but my wife was able to talk the kids into racking up the grass and bringing it to her to use as mulch in a couple of tires. So in those tires she put grass and compost in alternating layers until the tires were filled. tires.jpg

While I was moving some rocks that were near one of the trees close to the trunk, I found something. Know what it is?

side-1&2.jpg

Maybe this will give you a clue.side-3.jpg

Did you guess a cow's tooth? Then you were correct!

Technorati : , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great day for you! I am so anal when working with the chainsaw that I don't know if I would go up a ladder with one (especially since I would have to climb the ladder with it running... In order to start ours, I have to brace it and use my entire body to pull the cord. Can you say, "I lack upper body strength"?).

Todd said...

I understand. Luckily our chainsaw has a safety feature where you can push a bar forward that stops the chain from moving, which is what I did before I climbed tree. *smile*

lovelife said...

I am happy you did not hurt your self with the vhain saw. i worrie about storm because he does the same stuff as you did.

Todd said...

lovelife said...
"I am happy you did not hurt your self with the vhain saw. i worrie about storm because he does the same stuff as you did."

Guess it must be a man thang! *grin*