Sunday, June 10

Not very fertile eggs. MO rain. Computer monitors.

Do you remember a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned that we had three hens that were sitting on their eggs? Don't know if I mentioned it or not (I think I did somewhere... email?) but the one hen didn't have any eggs hatch after 21 days (usual cycle from sit on to hatch is 21 days). We're thinking now that the eggs weren't fertile, rather than that she somehow ruined them. I say that because we had a hen who was sitting on about 10 eggs who hatched one chick from them. Thankful she even got one, so she didn't sit there for almost a month in vain! And there was a third broody, but she got bored and wouldn't sit on her eggs except at night or when she was totally bored. In fact she kept scattering them around the pen. So after a week we decided that because she hadn't been keeping the eggs warm, that she was never going to, so we let her out and discarded the eggs. After three broodies, we got one chick. Better than nothing I guess. That one is getting her wing feathers, and as soon as it (don't know the sex yet) gets some tail feathers, we'll let momma and baby out to hang with the rest of the flock :-) We don't think the hens are having many fertile eggs because we have too many roosters for the amount of hens (7 to 30). I think you normally want a rooster for every 12 hens, so as you can see, we only have about 4 per cock. Speaking of roosters, we offered 5 of them on Freecycle and someone wrote back saying they wanted all 5. But when I wrote back to them with directions, they never emailed me back. But I think the reason they didn't write back is because they have a @yahoo.com email address, and for some reason unknown to us, yahoo considers my addy to be spam. Last night I emailed said wanters from my yahoo mail account, but haven't heard back, so I'm going to repost the offer today, once the thunder stops and I can go back on-line.

For those of you who are getting rain in Missouri who didn't really want it... it's all our fault! I washed a load of towels yesterday and my DD hung them on the clothes line. Plus my wife did a thorough watering of both of her gardens as well. Now, today it's raining heavy! LOL. So heavy as a matter of fact that we lost our satellite signal our televisions. And my DD just got back in from walking in the rain, also known as "rain walking", and loved it. *smile* Ah, to be young! :)

Oh yeah, and guess what! My wife was thinking about turning the computer monitor casings into planters, so a couple of days ago I brought one in to see if I could get it apart... couldn't. Then I decided to bring another one in a see if that one could be taken apart... not that I was able to do it. So I decided to see what would happen if I plugged it in, and after sitting in the shed gathering dust and who knows what else inside of it, I found out IT WORKS!. I was SHOCKED! We thought it was DEAD. Now we're thinking that the reason it stopped working was probably that a wet cat sat or laid on it and the moisture got inside and caused it to quit. So now that it's dried-out, it works again. *smile* Now I need to bring the other 2 17-inch monitors in and see if they will work again. *hmm* I'll tell you what, there's quite a bit of viewing difference between a 13-inch and 17-inch monitor, especially once you get used to the smaller one. :)

, , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chickens sound like so much fun! I can't wait till the day our family can move out to the country and have some farm critters! Nice blog you have.

Kristie H. a fellow homeschooler

Todd said...

Thanks for the comment! :) May your dream of a country oasis come true soon.