Saturday, July 28

E-card virus alert!

I hate getting those emails saying that there's a virus being sent around when the person did not check with Snopes or some other reputable site before forwarding yet another hoax. But, I just got this information in an email, I have checked it out and it is a valid virus - a REALLY BAD one. Also, your anti-viral software does not protect against this one. It started making the rounds on the net in June 2007, so it's very new.

It sounds very innocent. It's just an email telling you that you have a free eCard and has a web link to the site. If you click on it, the site installs a variant of the "Storm Trojan" which is "a very aggressive piece of malware that has been hijacking computers to serve as attacker bots." I actually received this email but marked it as SPAM, clicked on delete, and forgot about it. That was about two weeks ago.

The subject line on my email said, "You've received a greeting ecard from a classmate!"  I couldn't think of a classmate that would send me an ecard and assumed it was spam. It was actually a virus.

The email looks just like all the others you get when someone sends you a free ecard.

Feel free to check out the information for yourself at:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

Please let your friends know.

Tags: , , , ,

No comments: