Sunday, July 22

Early PC. Why I blog. Chickens and their babies

chicks.jpg chicks2.jpg

Goodness, graciousness, I am so thrilled to be here, folks. And that is because my daughter decided she would lay down and nap for a couple/few hours with her mom after I got up. You're most likely thinking (don't you like how I assume to know these things?), "What's so thrilling about THAT?". Lemme' tell ya. Usually she (my daughter that is) gets on the computer first thing in the morning. And I mean FIRST thing. As in she gets up early (6:30 am [parents get up at 7]) and comes DIRECTLY to the computer. If my memory serves (and there's no guarantee of that), she told me eons ago that the reason for doing that is so that she can get "on" before "parents" (yes, they call us that for each other) and therefore doesn't have to wait. WAY back when, if I was the one getting up early with her to let the chickens out, I would get the computer and do my email and blog(s) and SHE would have to wait. Somewhere along the line it got lost that the little woman and I had decided that we (the parents) should get first stab at the PC. I don't know exactly when the young un' made the switch, but it was done pretty stealthily (or my memory's failing). A few months (?) back I know that I decided that if I couldn't get the PC first, then I would just watch TV (used to be Charmed, but I saw all the shows and have since stopped watching it) until she got done here. Which is USUALLY around 10 am or so. Now that I think about it, I believe it was after she found YouTube and the anime' videos that take FOREVER to load with dial-up, that she started having the computer for longer. And no, I couldn't get her to load them overnight so they'd already be loaded in the morning. *sigh* Anyway, all that to say that I was surprised last night, after I asked the daughter, "After I get up in the morning, why don't you just go lay down with your mother for a couple of hours, but only if you're tired?" I was SHOCKED when my wife told me later that our DD MIGHT lay down in the morning after we fed the chickens! She did, and so here I am!

Rain and I were talking a bit about me/my blogging and why I've cut back on writing. I was telling her that because if I was reading my blog, I'd find my life BORING. And why would ANYONE want to read that. I mean, you know, what's our routine? Get up, feed the chickens, watch TV or get on the PC. Some days we make a drive into town (10 or 20 miles each way depending on where we go), come home, maybe swim, mow, do the garden, or do something equally as excitement challenged. I just couldn't see how people would WANT to hear about days like that. And lately we haven't even been painting the house, so no updates there either! But she convinced me that people DO like reading about that stuff, seeing how people in the country live lives that are so much more laid back than the ones a lot of city people have, that some find it fascinating. Not only that, but once the reader finds out we're Pagan, they will know that we're really NOT all that scary. That we're regular folks, living life like so many other people. We don't sacrifice animals, babies, or anything else in rituals (in fact we don't have any rituals). We're just getting by day by day, paycheck to paycheck like everyone else. We just have different beliefs.

All that being said, I did a bit more mowing yesterday. The grass was getting pretty tall by the wood shed, and since I had pulled & cut some weeds around the pool, I wanted to make the grass surrounding said pool look neat as well. Other than that, the pool is still blue, that garden is producing LOTS of tomatoes, and we haven't found a decent color to continue painting the porch with.

We had one of the two broody hens hatch-out about 9 chicks a few weeks ago, and they're SO CUTE. Then we had another hen on another clutch of eggs, but she would only sit on some of the eggs SOME of the time, so we let her out and put another one on the eggs, and SHE wouldn't sit at all, or only at night, so we tried one more hen, and weren't too sure she'd sit on them either, but she settled down, and yesterday ONE of the 12 eggs hatched for her. This was a week PASSED the usual 21 day gestation period for those eggs, so we didn't think any would hatch. We were going to be letting her out in the day or two and tossing the eggs, but then we heard chirping yesterday afternoon. This hen had been wanting to go broody for a couple of months, but would ONLY do it in one particular spot that other chickens wanted to lay their eggs in. So it was late in the 2nd week of those eggs waiting for a decent sitter before she got to them. Anyway, we're just happy that she now can know that she didn't sit on them for the last 3 weeks in vein vain.

No comments: