Friday, August 3

From the Desk of Senator Claire McCaskill (About Gonzales)

I actually wanted her to vote to IMPEACH his ass, but I guess this'll have to do... FOR NOW.
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:04 AM

Thank you for writing me regarding our nation's Attorney General, Alberto Gonzalez. I share your concerns.

As our nation's top law enforcement official, the Attorney General is responsible for setting the standard of justice for our nation, and it has become all too clear that Mr. Gonzales is failing in this duty. I am extremely concerned that the decision to dismiss eight U.S. Prosecuting Attorneys was based on partisan concerns, and not professional performance. As a former prosecutor, I understand that once a prosecutor takes their oath, they are to remain loyal only to the rule of law, not partisan politics. We must not allow the Department of Justice to be reduced to a political arm of the White House.

The Department of Justice plays a crucial role in the investigation, pursuit, and prosecution of criminal activity. In this effort, we must have prosecutors who feel free to act independently of party politics, as well as a credible Attorney General who holds the confidence of Congress and the American people. I do not believe that Mr. Gonzales can fill that role. Mr. Gonzales' testimony before Congress, full of contradictions and failed memory, did not restore my confidence in his leadership and priorities. So, I recently joined my colleagues in an effort to hold a vote of no-confidence in Mr. Gonzales - not to play partisan games, but to express my heartfelt belief that our country deserves better. Today, I remain as convinced as ever that the Attorney General should resign and the President should quickly replace him with someone who can provide strong, responsible leadership.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.


All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill

No comments: