Friday, August 3

From the Desk of Senator Claire McCaskill (on healthcare)

Another letter from one of my representatives, probably a "form letter", but still.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:49 AM

Thank you for contacting me regarding the U.S. National Health Insurance Act (H.R. 676). I appreciate having your comments and welcome the opportunity to respond.

America's medical care is arguably one of the best quality and most modern in the world. But its disgraceful that so many Americans don't have access to this kind of care because they can't afford it and so they go without until they are their loved ones need serious care. As health care costs continue to soar, and the pool of uninsured Americans expands, this country is near the deep end of a healthcare crisis.

In Missouri, well over 600,000 people are uninsured. One proposal is the U.S. National Health Insurance Act, which establishes a new national health insurance program by expanding the Medicare program. Other proposals include expanding the State Children's Health Insurance Program that would provide more low-income children to receive quality health care coverage. I strongly support this legislation, which I am hopeful Congress will approve before the program expires this fall.

There are no easy solutions to America's health care crisis, but it will only get worse the longer we ignore it. While I support healthcare to everyone, we need to fully debate the issues before endorsing one proposal over another. There are a number of measures through which we can reach universal coverage, some are dramatic restructurings of the healthcare system while others bring about gradual change. Congress plays a key role in shaping future health care policies, and I assure you that while I'm in the U.S. Senate I will fight for proposals that would provide the assistance needed so all Americans have access to affordable and quality health care.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to share your views. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding other matters of interest or concern to you.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill

No comments: