Saturday, November 22

Typing, electric heat and wood

Just got through taking a typing-speed test. The first time I did it I got 30 words per minute at a 49% accuracy rate. I think that was because I got off by a space and didn't think I could go back with the backspace. The second time I discovered that you could go back if you made a mistake and scored 31 words per minute with a 94% accuracy rate. The reason the typing tutor program is installed is because we want our 13 year old boy to be able to type what he's thinking since we can't get him to practice his hand writing. Got him to practice his signature so he could sign his passport. When we went and picked it up though we parents were able to sign for him. Since then we haven't made him do much hand writing.

The new heater is working well. Last evening I put a small, portable heater that also has a thermostat control across the room from the new one to see if the room temperature would/could be more even all over. This morning when I got up the living room was right at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't know if that was because it didn't get as cold outside this morning or if both the heaters just worked well together.

I did get a load of laundry hung out on the line this morning but haven't checked it's dryness yet. It's been a few hours though so it's possible they're ready to come back in. I know that while hanging them out, although it was 50 degrees on the porch in the shade according to the porch thermometer that my hand still got very cold hanging clothes with the wind blowing.

It's almost 2:30 in the afternoon and I still haven't gotten any wood cut into log-size pieces. Honestly... I'm not really sure if I really NEED to worry about it. I'm thinking that if the electric bill jumps because of the use of the living room heaters that we might need to go back to using the wood stove more. If that's the case then we'll definitely need to have wood available, which there isn't much of at the moment. What to do, what to do? (rhetorical in case someone besides me finds this). Probably should ask the teens to at least split some wood so it can dry more quickly. At least quicker than remaining full-log size logs stacked in the shed. Part of me is thinking, "It's cold out there so we don't have to work in the cold if we don't want to". The other part is thinking, "But why not? Won't you, or they, feel better if SOMEONE does?" The answer is of course, "Yes, at least I would feel like I'm not the only one working around here." Work so far for me today includes the aforementioned laundry and running the dishwasher. Feel like I should do more. Don't really feel comfortable asking anyone else to though because of the cold yet sunny outdoor weather. I am SUCH a softy. Hopefully that DOESN'T mean I'm doing the teens a disservice, but I can certainly hear arguments coming from the Puritan types. Smile.

Okay. Now that I have managed to lay a guilt-trip on myself, lol, I am going to wrap this up. Then post it too my blog and Gather sites. Probably won't post it to my e-group since it (this blather) doesn't feel important. Although, I am the owner of said list and can post it anyway since only my wife and I can unsubscribe me if it isn't taken well (I think). Now the time has come to stop procrastinating and bring this to a close and get some work done outside. Perhaps with help from the teenagers that are currently sitting in front of television screens. Snicker!

6 comments:

lovelife said...

well when my teen sons r at the house we have them help storm out it's part of staying at the house. No kid should have a free ride. I grew up on a farm and we all had stuff to do if we wanted to stay alive and not have to move out lol
that is the proublem with teens these days not being made to do work to help out mom and dad and letting them just set and play games or watch tv.
All of my kids do some kind of work to help out around the house even if just upp to see me for the weekend. and i do that because we get them food and clothing and stuff that is needed by them.

Todd said...

I see. My son did come out and help me split wood, so it's all good. Thanks for your POV :-)

lovelife said...

your welcome
just think all kid's should help mom and dad out

Todd said...

Gotcha!

nana said...

Teaching your son how to type is a really good idea. Everything's digital these days. I think I learned how to type when I was in second grade because my mom really wanted me to and it proved to be quite helpful...

Just surfing the web also :)

Todd said...

Yeah, we think so too. So as soon as we can get him to stop sighing whenever we mention it, we will get him to practice.