Monday, March 12

Basketball, drugs, and (not) notes

Had a pretty good day yesterday, although I didn't get squat accomplished. Actually, that's about all I DID do - squat on the sofa watching basketball and other television shows. LOL. Much to my happiness, the Denver Nuggets won the game of the Sacramento Kings. I know, isn't that just awesome?! :-)

Not much else to say. I'm stopping one of the medications that the doctor prescribed to help with my fatigue problem (Amantadine) because it makes me sleepy. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't ya think? Not sure what to do. I was on Provigil samples over a year ago and they worked, but because it's considered a controlled substance (I think) we think we'd have to get a new prescription every month. That would be a pain because we're an hour away from the doctor and don't know if he could give a prescription for that over the phone each month. I suppose I could call him and ask, but that's a long distance phone call, although I do need to get my antidepressant dosage raised. *sigh* Speaking of the doctor, I called him last week and asked if he could write us a note stating that my wife should stay home with me and the kids, so that DFS would bug her all the time about getting a job, and so they wouldn't reduce our already meager food-stamp allotment of $50 a month for a family of four. We had gotten a note from a previous neurologist's assistant last year, but my current neuro wouldn't do it because he said I'm not bed-bound. Which is true, but sheesh, it's NOT like we get money because my wife is considered a 'caregiver', which is why my previous neuro wouldn't write one and why we went to her assistant. I *really* shouldn't drive, so thought because of that we would qualify to get another note, but nope, they said no, that if I needed her to drive me somewhere (like an appointment) that she would just have to take some time off of work (she doesn't currently work outside the home). And the reason she doesn't work outside the home? We're 20 minutes from the nearest town and our van only gets 10-13 MPG, plus she's nervous about driving the van because it pulls when I step on the brakes and we can't afford to get it fixed. We can't afford to buy a car unless she has a job, but can't get a job if she can't afford to drive the van back and forth. Yep, it's a catch 22! :-( Oh well, screw 'em!

Tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

lovelife said...

Hi thanks for the post on my blog.
i understand about your wife. the goverment needs to understand that some women are needed at home for there kids and a husband. but no one cares any more. the US gov sucks.

Anonymous said...

I have been in that Catch 22! I am sorry you have to go through that.

Doing squat... that's a good one! That means that's what I have been doing, playing my video games for a week now!