Thursday, March 29

Garden protection. Chickens. Yard grass.

We had a pretty good day yesterday. Although the playday with our homeschool group at the park was canceled due to their sickness, we decided that we would go anyway. We had a small, one dollar kite that we wanted to try and fly. As it turned out, we got what we paid for because it wouldn't fly. That piece of crap! So we just talked, swung, I shot a few hoops with the basketball, and the kids rode their bike.

Once we got home I decided that since it's time to start planting in the garden, and we don't want the chickens in there, that I needed to at least try and discourage them from flying in. So I put up some stakes around the gate and compost bin to do just that. Hope it works! :-)

protection.jpg

And of course I thought that just because I spoke of what the garden needed protection from, that I would show you so you could have a better mental picture. *smile*


flock.jpg

Other than that, Rain raked up some more of the leaves, branches and pods that've fallen off of the Poplar trees. Then the kids put everything she had raked-up into a wagon and took it to the brush pile, which is growing by leaps and bounds. We're still undecided about whether to just keep the brush pile growing for wildlife or to have a bonfire. As much as I like the idea of a bonfire, just putting the branches and stuff into the brush-pile is less work. *grin* Day before yesterday we got one of the HUGE branches that had broken off of the Oak tree cut up. Got quite a bit of wood, that will eventually need to be split.

Speaking of grass... what a difference a couple of weeks make! It went from being mostly spotty, yellowish, and brittle, to now needing mowed. Which means it's time, once again, to spend 15 dollars to get 5 gallons of gas for the mower. (gas is now at $2.49.9/gal)

Technorati : , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You SURE made me miss my chickens! your garden barrier looks like it just might work. Of course, with a 6 month old puppy who has taught my old fart dog how to play again, I don't think chicken wire could have saved the chickens from them! :) Thanks to this puppy, we did not have to put our dog down. Her personality and demeanor have improved so much! It's amazing!