Friday, December 5

Cold, errands, decorations

If you click it, it will grow

Don't know why, but I cannot get rid of the table-lines while using OpenOffice 3. It probably not even visible to the reader, only to the editor. Doesn't matter. It's my journal and it doesn't need to be perfect.

As you know, I came down with a cold that my wife had earlier in the week. It started with my tongue being extra dry. I thought it was from smoking a pipe. I had planned on not smoking it anymore, ever, but once I figured-out that wasn't why my mouth was dry, I didn't stop. So buying the mint lozenges was really a waste of money even though I do like sucking on them. That was a couple of days ago and today I'm doing a lot better. Seems as though the dry mouth only lasts for 2 days. Today is day 3. Now both of the teens have the cold. E-teen said his throat was dry last night. A-teen said hers started getting dry this morning. Plus she said that she didn't sleep well because she just couldn't get warm. Don't think I had that symptom, or if I did I stayed busy through it. E-teen hasn't said anything about being or getting cold. I started taking a Benadryl pill every four hours or so. Started doing that yesterday afternoon to dry-up any phlegm that may have accumulated in my sinus cavity or lungs. You know, to dry the phlegm before it became a problem, which it hasn't except for a slightly stuffy nose this morning and early afternoon.

We did manage to be feeling good enough to go into town. Stopped at Woods to check and then get new lottery tickets. After that we stopped in the Wal-Mart for an ink cartridge for the computer. They didn't have the one we needed. We also wanted to buy another jar of Teatree oil but we couldn't find that either. The reason we need a new bottle is mostly because the eye-dropper on the old one quit working. Since they did have eye-droppers, we got a couple of those. One for me and the teatree oil and the other to use to squirt oil into the cats' ears to drown the ear mites. Have NOT done that yet. Also stopped at Mickey D's for lunch, then stopped at Meeks to price and/or buy some plastic sheeting for the porch. Meeks didn't have any, so we went to MFA next-door and got some. We've already put it up. Put it up/across the north side of the porch to block the northern wind. Hopefully that'll make it easy to for the house to stay warmer, longer. The living room and computer game/wood-stove room are on the north side, so we're hoping they stay warm longer. Speaking of staying warm... We've gotten used to the living room being either right at 70 degrees Fahrenheit or a little above or below, using only the electric heaters. Haven't started a fire in the wood stove for several days. Did start one a few days ago because A-teen said she was really cold. However, right after I started it she went and took a hot bath. I wouldn't have started a fire if I had known she was going to do that. Oh well, I suppose it's good to keep familiar with starting one just in case our heaters break or can't get the house any warmer because the outside temperature took a nosedive. It has been dropping into the mid to lower 20's the last few mornings. Once the sun is up and shining, the house has warmed-up pretty quickly. Hence why we haven't started any more fires recently. It's kind of nice not HAVING to go slit wood. We have enough already split for the occasional fire.

Speaking of lights, we did put up a few around the inside of the house this afternoon. Rain wanted it to not only be a holiday season, but to look and feel like one as well. Once I got into it I could see the plus side of decorating. It didn't take me long, just didn't really understand why it was necessary. It was explained that it's done because it's winter and "to keep people from slitting their wrists" because everything is dull, bland, and "just another day/season". I guess, it just it necessary for ME, but I understand that others like to cheer-up the place at least once or twice a year.

No comments: