Monday, December 22

2008 Yule Holiday

All the presents plus one human. Clik 2 enlarge

Yesterday we celebrated Yule, the first official day of Winter. We got up before the sun rose so that we could be mostly alert when it did come up. Prior to going out, we collected enough noise makers (coffee cans) for the four of us to bang on to thank the sun for coming up again on 1st day of Winter. Wow, I was writing that down but not really feeling it. I mean, yeah, it was officially the beginning of the winter season, and the point is? The reason for us celebrating on that day is because traditionally it's the longest night and shortest day of the year and we are welcoming the start of the new season and that the days will become longer. Personally I am just 'whatever' with it, but because my wife wants/needs to feel that things are looking better or looking up, then I try and get into it as well. So anyway... we walked around the house and swimming pool, traveling in a clockwise direction, banging on our cans until the sun peaked up over the horizon. Then we came back in because it was freakin' cold out there! I believe it was right around 20 degrees Fahrenheit, but the wind-chill was much colder. After we got back inside we brought all the wrapped gifts out of hiding into the living room. Then we divided them by the 'to' name on each until everyone had their gifts. I took a picture of them all before they were distributed. Good thing we put recharged batteries in the camera the night before, eh? We all liked every present we got. This year we mailed out holiday cards for the first time in a couple of years (we kept putting it off till it was too late), and this year only got a few FROM people. Actually we usually do, but we always hope for more but understand that because we didn't send many out the last couple until this year that it'll be next year before we get many (hopefully). The rest of the day was spent watching football and eating chocolate and cookies, playing on the computers and having a pretty usual day.

Now that I've had some time to relax and write, I'm not nearly as cranky as I was while we were shopping. I mean, the very first thing I was confronted with in town was one of those freakin' annoying bell-ringers. What the hell is the reason for those damn bells? Do they really think we can't see them? Just pisses me off that they expect people to contribute. However, that's just me. Rain almost always drops some change in their containers. Personally... I don't understand why all those alleged millionaires and billionaires can't fund them more and let us peasants spend our money on gifts and supplies for our families and people we know need the help. Plus it seemed liked people in the grocery store were oblivious to anyone but themselves. Stopping in the middle of isles to look around, talk, whatever. In the non-supercenter Wal-Mart, that continued but because the isles are so close together (IE narrow), it made it even more annoying to me.

Of course while in the stores they were playing the traditional holiday music. As freakin' long as I can remember, that same damn music has been played since I was a kid. I haven't been a kid for 3 decades now. I would just think SOMEONE could come-up with different music, or at least quit playing the same stuff every freaking year! Sigh! I swear if I hear the word "Santa" one more time, I going to kill whoever said it. Not really! Happy freaking holidays everyone.

P.S. Just wanted to say that I'm not cranky now. I was while at the store, but not anymore. *smile*

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Glad you had a wonderful Yule!!!!

Anonymous said...

SANTA! lol

I'm glad your Yule was good.

About shopping, that's why I'm usually NOT the one to shop or I practice my deep breathing techniques while in the store.

I hate shopping. I really do.

Todd said...

Thanks, Kelli, it really was.

Sustainable lady person... you're a funny one who will get coal in her stocking. *snicker*