Saturday, December 20

Window's updates and firewalls

The road out?

Crap! I've been thinking about journaling for over an hour now I think. Got sidetracked with a search to find out if the Westell VersaLink 327W had a built-in firewall - still not sure whether it does or not. Found a few semi interesting replies on-line, but since they were pretty geeky/technical, they didn't really mean a whole helluva lot. IYKWIM. Debating if I should say exactly what firewall or walls I'm using or not using, LOL, because I don't want some mischievous troublemaker to find my status and hack my computer. Inside I'm laughing because I seriously doubt they'd find anything juicy. Then again, I'm not really sure why they hack the computers they do. Perhaps they just get in so that they can use the computers to send problems from so that the real computer isn't found, like using a decoy I guess.

As you probably know, I can't install a couple of Window's Office updates that are allegedly high priority. They are KB953404 & 4478. Had been trading emails with 'support' without successful fixes. A couple of days ago they wrote and gave me a phone number to call. Yesterday afternoon I called that number, they gave me another number, then I was connected to an alleged technician who worked specifically with M.O. FrontPage who told me that FP is no longer supported via phone and that I needed to go to their website for email support (this was after being on the phone for an hour with people I could barely understand). And the runaround continues. This morning I found yet another email asking me for a two hour window when it would be okay to call me to fix my issue. I wrote back stating that I would get back to them next week IF I decided it was worth the hassle. I still haven't decided. FYI: Prior to sending me the support phone number, they sent me a long email with 6 methods of fixes. None of them worked.

No comments: