Friday, October 17

Wood splitting and metal recycling

This is before I started today This is AFTER I finished today
(click on either picture for full-size)

Just came in a little while ago after splitting some wood. Only worked out there for a little over an hour (not constant movement, just so ya know) and I'm freaking exhausted. I'm not really all that tired, it's just that my thumb joints hurt from using the log splitter we have. I can't remember what the hell it's 'name' is, but I think it's Swedish or French. I tried to find out on the Internet what the one we have is called, but I could not find it. It is a pipe with a sharp wedge-like splitter on the end with a tube over it that you raise up and either drop until the back/welded/solid end meets the back of the under-tube thus driving the wedge into the log and splitting it, or slamming down. For the life of me I couldn't even find a picture of one. It's very similar to the Swedish "Smart" splitter, but not exact. Oh well. We bought it several years ago, and maybe they don't make them anymore. Who knows?
We took all the tin and aluminum cans we had into the metal collector in Windyville, MO this afternoon. We had 59 pounds of tin cans that got us 59 cents. Plus we had 7 pounds of aluminum that got us paid 3 dollars and some odd cents. The next time we take metal in, it will include an old water heater and two old air conditioners. Those are considered and paid for as tin, which is only 1 cent per pound, but at least someone can use/re-use them for something and they won't be in the back of our shed taking up room for other junk we could store in there.

2 comments:

lovelife said...

that s not very good money for cans we take in like 4 trash bags not crushed and get like $12.00 just for that.
O can you take a pic of the wood splitter and maybe storm can find out what it is called if you wish,

Todd said...

Just enlarge one of the pictures. It's the orange and black thing sitting on the wood. I'll send it to you privately, if you want, do you? Lemme' know :)