Thursday, October 30

Working with wood, downloading files

Definitely got more done today than I did yesterday. Not all that surprising though because that sometimes happens when you're trying to be totally sure of a "clean" computer for hours on end. Most of that time was spent with me watching a TrendMicro/Housecall on-line scan for malware, grayware and spyware (which took hours and found 4 infections- sigh). But, this afternoon I went back and did another recommended (by TrendMicro) full system scan and they found only cookies. YAY.
==
In response to my last blog it was suggested that I try Linux 'Red Hat' and avoid those infections all together. I was told about a way to try a version of it via a "Live CD" without having to install it on the computer (the CD is basically the hard-drive). If you decide you like it you can just transfer it to the actual hard-drive. I'm still in the process of downloading the program from Ubunto.com.(Linux version). It still has over five hours to go. It's a 699 MB download and we only have "up to" 1.5 MBPS DSL. There's another site to download another Linux version called Fedora, but it's like a 3.3 GB download. Still thinking about when to download that one, but that's such a huge file. The way it was explained to me is that you download it, install it on a partition, then when you start the computer you get the option of starting up in 'Linux' or 'Windows'. And yes, I'm told you are told how to go the partition thing.
==
The earlier, after noon part of my day was spent out back where there are BUNCHES of Oak branches that've fallen off the trees. Dragged a couple of big branches up to the wood shed so that I can turn them into logs that'll need to be split. Plus while I was out looking for other branches I saw that there was a huge branch or half a tree that I could chainsaw into logs, which I did. Then I came in, rested, and took my daughter back out with me to help load a wagon with those logs and then she helped secure the load (made sure it didn't tip over) while I pulled it with the riding mower. That wagon load now sits in the wood shed waiting to be split - still in the wagon. I'm thinking that we won't *need* to buy wood for a while, after seeing how freakin' many branches and trees need to be cut-up today. That's a great thing. Our 'usual' wood guy is selling already split and cured wood for $50 per half cord, so not buying that will definitely help feed the kids. *smile*
==
Yesterday I re-found a tube of tar-caulking in the shed. I was thinking it was caulk like, not tar. But after I went over the previous bathroom window caulking with the tar-in-a-tube, I realized what a stupid thing that was to do. It stank-up the bathroom really bad when I turned the heater on in there to help cure it before nightfall. I'm not sure what to do. Will the smell eventually diminish after a while? Should I somehow remove the "outside only" caulking I used IN the bathroom? If so, how? And not, I didn't see the inside only part before I started putting it on the window.
==
Now I'm just writing and waiting for supper and then for "Survivor" to come on in about 20 minutes.

No comments: