Friday, April 10

Leak continues (updated: 4-11-09)

Just an update for those who are following our leak-conundrum, we bought a couple of rubber O-rings today and installed one, then the other, but they didn't do the trick. Tried making a flat gasket to go on top of the filter-housing, with electrical & duct tape combined (only had a tiny bit of electrical tape), but that didn't work either. I did find out however that the bucket spout works. *smile*
==
I still haven't been able to get the water filter in the pumphouse to stop leaking. A few days ago I put more thread-tape on the fittings that attach the intake and output hoses on the housing and I thought it was fixed permanently. A couple of days later I decided to check and make sure. That's when I noticed the bucket we had below it to catch any water that leaks, was full... AGAIN. *crap* So I was checking the fitting again and noticed that the water wasn't dripping out of those. It was leaking because the filter cover screwed on to the housing wasn't sealing. It's as tight as it can be. I attempted to put filter tape on those threads, but they are too widely spread apart for such skinny tape. Since I don't have any kind of gasket to use on top of the casing to seal it, something else needed to be done. Before falling asleep last night it occurred to me to put an overflow attachment and hose on the bucket. That way I hopefully won't have to empty the bucket every day.
==leak catching bucketThe picture (above) is of my invention before taking it out to the pumphouse that has the water filter in it.
==

top-view of the overflow bucket

This (above) is just a top-view of the overflow extension piping. Hopefully when the water gets to the level of that fitting, it'll start running through that and the pipe leading out of the pumhouse door so that manual bucket emptying is no longer necessary.
==

From overflow bucket out

Even if this works the way I want it to, I will buy a gasket to put between the filter-housing and flow device so that the inside of the pumphouse can dry-out.
==

P.S. I love PVC pipe and the fittings that the previous owner left for me to play with!
==

No comments: