Monday, July 12

Computer not letting me be social

Update: The problem was with our modem. The technician replaced the modem and we started getting the 1.5. Mbps we are supposed to for our DSL connection. I'm thinking now that the modem was never quite right as we rarely, if ever, really got the 1.5 in the 2 years we've had it. Now we can actually watch videos on-line without having to buffer them for long periods before playing them. It's awesome!

-

As you know, our DSL speed has been sucking lately. Just checked our speed on the test site called BransonSpeedTest.com and SpeakEasy...we're running around 600 kbps. I've got a 'work ticket' on file and a tech/repairman is coming tomorrow morning. Since on-line anything was crawling due to our connection speed (or lack there of) I decided to get an online spyware/virus scan done. The result was found and fixed (hopefully). It found a trojan named "RogueAV CLNAV4". While the scan was going I decided that I might as well have an Anti Spyware program already installed so next time I want to check for spyware/malware, I won't have to go online. I chose "Ad-Aware" as my new anti spyware program and found out that Ad-Aware (free) is now also Antivirus AND Antispware. Any hoots, I've been scanning and therefore not on-line for several hours. No spyware or virus' were found. And all because of slow connection speed (as low as 300 kbps) earlier.
-
Facebook was too slow before starting any scans. Tried playing on Frontierville but it was frustrating to click on something and then wait 30 seconds for whatever icon I clicked on to actually do anything :-(
-
Hopefully tomorrow the technician can renew our DSL back at least close to the 1.5 Mbps we pay for and my day will be more productive.
-
-

1 comment:

Lee said...

Bummer on the connections speed. Hope you are humming along soon!