Thursday, July 29

Scanning for viruses and trojans

Been wondering where my online presence has been? Well, as it turns out I had a virus named "Virus: Win32/Alureon.H". It was found by the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool program, It only "partially" repaired the infection and suggested I run a full-system antivirus scan after a restart, which I did using Avast (free) antivirus. It found nothing, said the PC was clean, so I ran another scan with the Window's program and it said my computer still had remnants of the Alureon.H virus. Downloaded the " Norton Power Tool ", ran a scan. The results were that some other 'virus/malware' (command & RegCureSetup RW[1] dot exe) had been found and fixed. Ran the Window's program again w/ the results of "Win32/Alureon.H" *still* existing. heavy sigh. Uninstalled Avast and downloaded/installed the (free) AVG 9 program and did a full scan with that, which found, you guessed it...NOTHING. Just to be safe I ran yet another hour long scan with the WMSRT tool and it claimed I still had at least some partial Alureon.H files somewhere. This morning I downloaded and installed yet another free antivirus program called " Kasperky Antivirus 2010 " (trial version). Plus, I did a search on the Kasperky site for "Win32/Alureon.H" and found no information on it at all. *shrug* The computer is being "deep" scanned with that as we speak, but it just completed. It found and deleted a virus named Trojan-GameThief.Win32.Magania.dkjf . Why is Windows the only program finding remnants of the virus Alureon.h? Aliases for the same virus? Anyway, consequently I have not been to Facebook or Twitter since yesterday afternoon because the scanning really slows down my computer. I think I got virus from downloading/installing "Adaware Pro" whose link I found and followed from the Lavasoft site :-( Speaking of new-to-me programs, I downloaded, installed, and ran the Ad-Aware Antivirus Security software earlier this month, but it didn't have an email scanner, so I uninstalled it. Installed AVG9.0 but thought at the time that it slowed the computer down too much. Maybe that wasn't what caused the slow-down? This all (scanning) started yesterday in the early afternoon after I tried and failed to get Windows Updates. Microsoft has contacted and assisted me. I can now download updates! Unfortunately, the latest one won't install. Anyway.... that's all the exciting news I've got. You?

-

FYI - If you think you might have a virus that's causing problems you can download a mini scanner from Kasperky*.

-

*Download the file TDSSKiller.zip from the following link and save it on the Desktop.

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

2. Double click TDSSKiller.zip to unzip the file.

3. Double click TDSSKiller.exe to scan the system.

4. Wait for the scan and disinfection process to complete.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

No comments: