Wednesday, August 13

NBC Olympic coverage sucks!

Is it just me, or is anyone else really disappointed with NBC's coverage of the 2008 Olympics? It could be that we no longer have Satellite television and can get ONLY the over-the-air signal from NBC. Just about every time we turn it on, it's either in a commercial, or there's swimming or some other water-sport, which we find boring. We wouldn't mind seeing more gymnastics, but apparently that's done more during China's daylight time and therefore we can only see highlights. Only highlights or very few "live" gymnastics because of course NBC wants us to see the live events. I thought I would go and watch some video on NBC's site, but each time I tried I only got a pop-up asking what cable or satellite company we're subscribed to, and since we're not for either, we can't watch the video. So you say to download their "NBC Direct beta" program? I tried, tried again, and again, but EVERY TIME the LAST part of the installation process gets within 3 minutes: 40 seconds (or so) it errors out. The error message says to go to a FAQ site for more information. However, there was NO information about the error I got, nor of any other error while installing their stupid "beta" program! At the site it gives you an email to nbcdirect@nbcuni.com to send your non-faq question to, which I did yesterday. Still waiting for an answer. I tried to watch a video at NBC on the other computer (although I expected the same result), but got the same question about cable/satellite, therefore I couldn't watch any. So I sent an email to them saying that they suck because not EVERYONE can afford to have a Satellite or Cable connection. I told them another reason that they suck is because they show ONLY the U.S. playing China or another country, or China competing with another country or the U.S.. But they, at least on our antenna-version viewing, didn't show anyone else. I told them the Olympics are about THE WORLD, not JUST about the U.S. and China! However, since "the poor" in no country has their opinions matter, I'm not expecting anything to change. BTW: I read nothing but negative reviews of NBC Direct when searching the web looking for solutions to installing the program.

15 comments:

lovelife said...

i love to watch the swimming stuff lol

Todd said...

That's cool, I like it too, but not EVERY DAY. I just wish they would showing *something* else where there's more than the U.S. and another team. Two teams where *neither* are the U.S *or* China would be awesome.

mathteach said...

Have friends in Ireland - 24 hours a day -every heat, prelim, semi and final of every sport!!! I happen to be a sport - phile so I'll take anything - but since when is BMX an Olympic sport? Maybe we will be offering scholarships for under water basket weaving in the future. I have waited through the "Phelps" games for the real Olympics - athletics- yet I haven't seen any field events except the gold medal discus throw, the Australian pole vaulter and oh yeah = Brian Clay's 1500m jog to take the gold in the decathlon. I don't think SUCKS is a strong enough word. Every 4 years we get treated to crap - interviews, bios, or some commentator talking about the night life. WHO THE F@$^%& CARES. We taped the 1988 games and after editing the non-event footage - we had 2 cassettes - 2!!! Even the Atlanta and LA games weren't live. We got the taped delayed highlights. I could go on forever but to what avail? Like NBC is going to care - they've made millions on the ads which means their coffers will be swelling to pilot crap sitcoms for the next 4 years and still have enough left to buy the rights to London 2012 - I think it's time to schedule a European vacation!!

Todd said...

Well, we've been watching them on NBC the last week and have managed to see some volleyball (mens's and women's), some diving, and some partial ribbon dancing that my wife wanted to see, but then there were techinical difficulties and that was prempted/switched and never returned to. Got to see Bolt from Jamaica run and get his gold medals (although it wasn't 'live'), but still good. All in all though, not happy with the overall 08 coverage :-(

Anonymous said...

They just want to maximize on the stupid ads, they figured out americans are only interested in games americans are winning or have chances to win.
If you like handball, sailing, boxing, taekwondo HA HA good luck.
But they have to sell to the main stream so they are pretty smart about it since they think their average viewer is pretty dumb.

Todd said...

I was thinking about this, and don't know if they really thing we american are so much stupid so much that perhaps they just know that we'll accept whatever they give us because the majority believes there's nothing we can do to change it anyway. I know I've written & complained to a lot of organizations in the past, and it DOESN'T *seem* to make a difference. So a lot of us (me to some extent) have become apathetic as a result :-(

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. CHeck out this facebook site -

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22540674997

Anonymous said...

I tuned in to see the women's VB match (sat morning easter time). Nothing. And this was the USA women playing the first gold medal match in how long? ever?

Then I tuned in to see the men's VB gold medal match. Nothing. This is the first time in 20 years for the men.

NBC claims live streaming events, but there's nothing of such sort from their site

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, what about nbcolympics.com site not having comments area? Probably too afraid of what feedback guests would leave.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, though, I did appreciate NBC covering both the beach VB gold medal matches in prime time and without commercials (at least very few). Have to give kudos for that feat.

Todd said...

Anon wrote: "http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22540674997"

I followed your link and then sat and watched as nothing happened for a few minutes, upon which point I closed the browser. What's wrong with that link or facebook?

M Trevithick said...

CBC in Canada probably has - single handedly - the greatest Olympics coverage.

Todd said...

I'm not surprised. Very happy for you though.

Unknown said...

NBC is just horrible coverage. nothing live and almost none of the real action in the downhill, they just show the crashes...

Todd said...

Thanks for stopping by, Chris.