Tuesday, December 5

Wood-working, chickens

woodburn1.jpgclick to enlarge

Didn't get much done today, other than watch TV, read email, blogs, and stuff at gather.com. The picture is part of a wood-burning project I'm working on for my DD. This is one panel of a CD holder I'm going to be making for her. Each piece is about 3" by 7" and I'll be using 4 of them, plus two triangle pieces for the sides. As you can see, I've *just* started. I had to stop because I accidentally touched the side of the wood-burning tool (aka: pencil) with my finger. Once that happened, I couldn't keep my finger on the "pencil" because my finger was too heat-sensitive. *sigh* I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Speaking of Gather, I found out via a Google search that you have to earn 3000 points before you can cash them in for cash ($50). So far I've only got 167 points, so it's going to be a while before I make any money. *grin* That's okay, that's not really why I joined anyway. I joined to keep in touch with friends. *smile*

Did you know (or care) that the average lifespan of a chicken is 4-5 years, but some people have had them live passed 10? The only reason I know is because someone sent me a link to an article about how some chickens are disposed of in California. Then we got to swapping emails and she asked what we did with non-laying chickens. I answered that we build a funeral pyre for those who are killed by predators or other reasons, and that we don't butcher hens anymore because we made the mistake of killing ones we *thought* weren't laying, only to find out they would've had we not killed them. *sigh* Then I asked her how long they lay, then I googled the question and found the answer myself. *smile* They typically lay regularly for 3 or so years then production starts declining.

Supper's ready. Bye!

Technorati : , , ,

1 comment:

lovelife said...

i think we had our chickens for dinner b4 that age lol As A kid I lived on a farm so we killed our chickens for food but some were for eggs for food also and lived about 2 years i think.
love the cd stuff you are doing for DD
have a good week.
wyldewyndlove