Wednesday, May 26

Live NBA game on TNT/NBA dot com

Last night I went to NBA dot com to find out how the 4 teams playing for the chance to play in the championship series are doing. That's when I saw a "watch live" button in the window that showed what was in a video as you ran your mouse over the thumbnails. I of course clicked to watch whatever 'live', thinking it was going to be either a half-time show or a post-game show. I was thrilled to find out that it was actually the game being played between the Phoenix Suns and the L.A. Laker's. At first the video was a 4 video window showing 4 different views of the game. After further tinkering, button clicking if you will, I found a way to watch the game as a single, full-screen video, except it was just one cameraman's view. In other words, we saw whatever the one cameraman at court level was filming. It felt cool, like being AT the game, watching while standing right by the out-of-bounds lines. It was awesome. I've never been to an actual NBA basketball game, but it felt like I was there. We got to listen as the commentator's call the game, but when they said we'd be going to a commercial, that only meant people watching the game on television. We stayed with the cameraman and saw what players, coaches, and fans do during commercials - not a lot, mostly just relax and listen to the coach. The fans were being fans, talking, dancing, clapping, watching the mascots jump from the mini trampoline slamming basketballs as they flew toward and passed the hoops. Like I said, totally cool! In case you're wondering, this live viewing was sponsored (I'm assuming) mostly by TNT in what the link I clicked on showed "TNT Overtime", except it was live. The "overtime" word is what made me think it was AFTER the game, thankfully I was misled. The next game on TNT is Thursday night. Tonight's game is going to be shown on ESPN, which unfortunately is a channel we DON'T get, and not a site that has free video feeds of games (not that I've been able to find). But hey, I'm not complaining because even with our not-super-speed DSL (1.5 MBPS) the videos play WAY smoother than they did when we had only dial-up. I know, "Duh!" and "Obviously". Thinking about talking to our 14 year old DS and see if he can do some geeky thing to my computer so that videos play/load better/faster. Supposedly the video games he plays on-line on his computer are only supposed to be able to be played with an expensive, much more powerful video card than he has, yet he's found a way to change settings so that he can play using the video card that came with the computer. But he's also got more RAM than I do. I only have 512 MBs, his is a gigabyte.

-

http://ramblemans.blogspot.com

-

No comments: