Tuesday, September 12

Broken limbs, chicken-stealing coyote, leaves, grass, laundry and rain

Apparently we had some really strong straight-line wind last night or early this morning. I say that because when I went outside to chase the coyote away that was carrying one of our hens, I noticed two trees that had limbs almost the exact same height, broken.

And yes, you read that right, a coyote carried another chicken away. Rain had just went into the bathroom when I heard her scream. When I got about half-way to the bathroom I her her yell, "Shit, Coyote!" So I headed for the front door, but by the time I got out to the yard, the coyote already had the chicken in his/her mouth and was running away into the woods. Guess that's the price of raising chickens in the country, eh? About the only way to stop that is to set traps (no-kill) and relocate them (I don't even know if that's done for coyotes), or, we could sit outside all day, every day with a gun and shoot them when we see them. I tried peeing on the ground out back, but apparently that didn't work.

You may or may not care why I haven't posted for a couple of days. Just in case you do care, you can rest easy as there is nothing wrong, I was just watching football on Sunday, then on Monday I think I read a few emails and maybe even responded to a few. And of course the same goes for any blogs I may have looked at. But, I just wasn't in the mood to write.

Yesterday I got a wagon of leaves raked-up and put in the garden, as well as a couple wagon loads of grass that I had mown a couple of days earlier. Later on, my daughter helped me collect a couple more loads of grass to put on the garden, which I did.

While I was raking grass, Rain was washing our bedding. She got the comforter done and hung on the line, as well as the sheets. She jokingly said after she got the sheets hung out that it'll probably rain now. Well, not more than about 30 minutes later her and the kids ran outside to bring the sheets and comforter in because it was POURING rain. LOL.

2 comments:

lovelife said...

hi I worry about my online friends when i do not see a post from them in a few days.
I think you need to shoot the coyote and hang his skin on the fence by the chickens and it will keep more of them away. My mom and dad did that one summer when we were kid's and as far as my old mind can remember it did work. not nice but it did work.
tell Rain to do more stuff to hang out so we get more rain.
have a good rest the week.

Todd said...

"I think you need to shoot the coyote and hang his skin on the fence by the chickens and it will keep more of them away. My mom and dad did that one summer when we were kid's and as far as my old mind can remember it did work. not nice but it did work."

That's a good idea. Just wish we could see it *before* it's got a chicken. So far though, no luck. Thanks for the idea, we will give it a try! :-)