Saturday, September 16

Pioneer days in Buffalo, MO (w/pictures)

I mentioned yesterday that we were going to an event called "Pioneer Days" in Buffalo, MO today. Well, we did indeed go, and these are the pictures I took while we were there. Prior to getting there, I really didn't think I'd be taking that many pictures. However, once we got there, things looked interesting, so I was happy I brought my camera. We walked through pretty much every building, including the old train caboose that was on permanent display there. So without further adieu...

This is the beginning. Well, it wasn't at the beginning per se, but it was leaning up against a wall, so I took a picture. *smile*

This is a very old cabin. It's got two doors, the one you see, and another one on the left-side. My wife tells me they always had two doors so if they wanted to add-on, they have an entrance into the next room. It's a 1 room cabin w/ a loft. The ladder on the right is another entrance to the loft (or a teenager's escape route. *snicker*)

This was a schoolhouse. It has 1 room. When you enter, you can see the smaller desks up front for kids that were in the beginning classes, and as the kids grew and got into higher grades, the desks got bigger towards the back. Interesting. I asked the lady up front, "What are you teaching today?" and she told me, "Reading, writing, and arithmetic. What do you want to learn?" I told her arithmetic, and she replied, "well then, you pick up your quill-pen, dip in the the ink, and start writing". Of course there was no pen, nor any ink, but there was a hole on the desktop where the ink would've set. All the school's class photos were dated '1948'.

Although it now says it's a museum, it once used to be "The General Store". Inside they had all kinds of displays, from old pianos, to old civil war uniforms, as well as old typewriters and sewing machines. Pretty interesting to walk through and see how it used to be. You could just imagine yourself back in 'the old times'.

This is another 1-room cabin with a loft. It's newer than the other one. I know this because, well, it's bigger. So I guess I don't know it's newer, I just assumed. *smile* Still pretty cool. I still can't imagine raising a large family in one. I can imagine though that they spent a lot of time outdoors, else they would've really got on each other's nerves. Or perhaps they got along better because of it. I don't know what I'm talking about. *grin*

This is the same cabin as the one above, just looking at it from the other side, back by the top of an old outhouse. Can you imagine getting your daily water from that well on the left? I bet they used less water than we do now just because of that.

This is the top of an old outhouse. Looking inside, you can tell it was a plush one, it was a 2-seater. *grin*

I don't know what years these cars are, but I do know they all had current license plates on them, so they all run.

And last, but certainly not the least, an old caboose. We walked through it. There were seats for 3 people, a wood-burning stove, and there was even a restroom. That's the first time I had been in one. It was cool!

We really wanted to see the advertised square-dancers, but I guess because it was so windy, they decided against it. But, they did have a horse-shoe pit set-up where the kids could play. Plus they had a riding-mower being driven around pulling a plastic horse for the kids to ride if they wanted. All in all, a good experience.

After this we went "modern" and went to Taco Bell for lunch. *smile*

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

lovelife said...

hi looks like you all took some good pic.
I t hink I might make a trip with my kids to see that next year.
Tell your son happy bday.
Karen