Monday, June 12

WE'RE GETTING DSL!!

WE'RE GETTING DSL!! I can't believe it. I just about had a heart attack when she said, "Yes, you can get it". But at first I was worried. Because when I first called and asked if we could get it at our phone #, she looked it up and said, "No, my records say that it's not available in your area". My heart sank :-( I had other information though, so I asked, "Then is the on-line checker messed-up or something. Because it said that it IS available, but that I need to contact you because I just need some sort of check". She told me to hold on and she'll check one more thing. I waited. She came back and said that indeed we COULD get it, "my other records must not've been updated". I told her that I know when it became available... LAST WEEK I saw phone men working at the pole. She just said that that's gotta be it, cause it had to be within that last week or so. I am SO HAPPY that my assumption of what they were doing was right. *grin* But I've been worrying all day because I just could *not* understand how we could now get it because we only have the one phone line, and they haven't installed anything new. Finally, after DD got off our computer, I Googled "How does DSL work?" Come to find out that the normal phone line connection is just for "voice" communication and runs at a lower frequency than "data", i.e. Internet. It's the DSL modem that transfers data at a higher frequency, thus allowing the one line to be split and kept separate. I did not know that. Fascinating! *smile* So, come the day after father's day, we'll have high-speed Internet. I'm psyched! We're keeping it secret from the kids. They won't be expecting it. My DD is going to freak at how fast she get download/watch videos. Oh no!

Rambleman

No comments: