Saturday, August 19

Cell - Stephen King. Diatomaceous Earth & ants.

I had a pretty good day, thank you very much. It all started after my wife woke me up from my slumber around 9:30 this morning. No, I did not get up right away. *grin* I did, however, get up about 15 minutes later. When I went to bed last night I had planned on running out to the pool right after I was woken-up, in my skivvies and getting a water-jolt first thing. That didn't happen though. Instead, I just came out to the living room and sat on the sofa and zoned-out on whatever was on the TV (can't even remember what it was). My son was on the computer playing games on the Neo Pet's site, so I knew it would be a while before I got a turn. But, I did tell him that at 11:30 it was *my* turn, and he agreed. By 11:15 I had eaten my usual breakfast (a hamburger) and taken my vitamins and prescription pills. I told him "15 minutes", and he said "okay". Since I had 15 minutes to kill, I decided to take that opportunity to read a little of my book (Cell, by Stephen King). Well, by 11:30 I was deeply entrenched and my son was still messing around at that site, so I just let him keep the computer. I did get to a breaking point about 12:30, and so I convinced him it really was my turn, and he finally gave it up. *smile* Since there wasn't very many emails to read and respond to, I blogged that article about the "Food virus '-additives". Then I created a link to my guestbook and feedback pages, and then I decided to do other stuff. But before that I checked the stats on my Google Analytics and Technorati pages. THEN I did other stuff not related to the computer. *grin*

I decided to put some Diatomaceous Earth along the outside edges of the house, to kill as many ants as possible. Especially around the bathroom window where the carpenter ants have gotten into the wood and are causing a LOT of sawdust. *sigh* We've tried everything else (ant killer spray, ant bombs in the attic, splenda and instant grits), and NOTHING has happened *permanently*. Whatever we've done has slowed them down for a while, but they've *ALWAYS* returned. *frown* Hopefully by sprinkling the DE along the WHOLE side and front of the house, and inside where we know they are in the window, THAT will stop them. *crossing fingers & toes*

While I was outside, I decided to de-weed around the pool. While doing that I noticed ants around there. There's a wood-border around the pool, and at least in a couple of spots the 4X4 boards are gone. I'm sure partly because of rot, and partly because of those ants. So, after I pulled the weeds, I sprinkled DE around there too. Then I noticed some ants crawling all over one of the trees close to the pool, so I sprinkled it around the base as well as on the tree as much as I could get it to stick. *grin* I also got another root with trees seedlings coming up, that was close to the pool, dug out. I spent most of the afternoon outside, and enjoyed pretty much every minute of it. I felt like a real homesteader. LOL.

Oh, and I found a hose in the big shed that only had one hole. Since I just happened to have one more connector to splice the pieces of hose together (after I cut a section with the hole in it, out), I did that. That hose has been in the shed for *6 years* and we never thought to test it for leaks. Just assumed it had leaks since it was in there when we moved in. Don't ask me why, okay? *embarrassed grin* Anyway, it's long enough to reach all the way to the pool, plus some, so we don't have to hook-up the extension to it to add water to the pool anymore. All we need to do now is take the sprayer off and stick it in. Which is of course what I did. Maybe I'll vacuum the pool tomorrow. I don't have anything else planned, except maybe doing some laundry. *grin*

Well, I need to pee. I also need to shave (already showered). Therefore I will let you get back to your life. Bye!

Rambleman

1 comment:

TheyDHD said...

Sounts like you were doing a great job of naturally de-antsing the place if nothing else. Congrats on finding more hose! (grin*